Dr Catherine Knight is a writer and environmental historian. She is a Senior Associate at the Institute for Governance and Policy Studies, Victoria University of Wellington and Honorary Research Associate at the School of People, Environment and Planning, Massey University.
She has published five books and contributed chapters to a number of others.
- Nature and Wellbeing in Aotearoa New Zealand: Exploring the connection (Totara Press, 2020)
- Beyond Manapouri: 50 years of environmental politics in New Zealand (Canterbury University Press, 2018), a finalist in the New Zealand Heritage Book Awards.
- New Zealand’s Rivers: An environmental history (Canterbury University Press, 2016), long-listed for the Ockham New Zealand Book Awards, short-listed for the New Zealand Heritage Book Awards and selected as one of The Listener’s Best Books for 2016.
- Ravaged Beauty: An environmental history of the Manawatu (Dunmore Press), which was the winner of the J.M. Sherrard Award for Regional and Local History.
- Wildbore: A photographic legacy (Totara Press, 2018), awarded best book about the Manawatu by Palmerston North Heritage Trust.
Catherine works as a policy and communications consultant at KHM Consulting, based on the Kapiti Coast. She is also a RYS 500 hour yoga teacher, and teachers classes in the Manawatu and Kapiti Coast from her Hauora Yoga studios.
Research and writing
Catherine can be commissioned to write books, reports or do research and on the environment, history or environmental history.
See Publications page
Policy & thought leadership
Looking for a top-notch policy analyst and thought leader? Catherine may be available for projects in central, regional and local government, non-governmental organisations, and industry and research organisations.
She has extensive experience in both strategic and operational environmental policy, and governance in the education and environment sectors.
Lectures and talks
Invite Catherine to talk about her passions: nature and wellbeing, environmental history and policy. She is an experienced lecturer and have delivered numerous invited talks at universities and for professional and scientific organisations
Follow Catherine on LinkedIn to see what she is up to.
See also Catherine's consultancy website www.khm.co.nz