Follow Us

The school that moved: Wildbore geocache no. 1

In 1977, an entire school house moved from its existing location on a country road in the shadow of the Ruahine Range in the Manawatu to the main street of Palmerston North City, nearly 30 kilometres away. To be fair, it was just a one-room school house, one of just over 40 square metres. The school was built in 1902, to take pupils within a 10-mile radius, who travelled to school by foot or pony. When it opened, it had a roll of 20, and by 1907, the number had increased to 32. Many of the early teachers were young and inexperienced. One teacher was only 16 years old, just two years older than the oldest pupil. As transport improved and numbers of children in the area declined, the roll dwin

  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Featured Posts
Archive

© 2016 by CATHERINE KNIGHT.  Proudly created with Wix.com

This site was designed with the
.com
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now